February 5, 2012

The Mid-Point of the Tribulation


 
I think there should be some special end time judgment reserved for people who write boring theology.

I am halfway through Holdcroft’s Eschatologly: A Futurist View, my own tribulation, and I am waiting for someone to make a deal that will make the rest of the book go by a lot quicker. In a nutshell, this book is boring. It is dry, uninteresting, and in places mind-numbing with its bullet points and lists of random Scripture references. I wish, for futurism’s sake, that Holdcroft had made this a little more engaging. I’m trying not to let the medium destroy the message.

It also lacks any connection to systematic theology as a whole, and that is a significant weakness in my opinion.

As soon as I got into the book, I realized I was coming at things from quite a different viewpoint. In fact, the first few chapters made me quite upset! The margins are filled with a pencil debate against Holdcroft. He lays a foundation for futurism, and dispensationalism in particular, that I simply cannot agree with on a number of theological grounds.

I think I will lay out my particular problems in another post, after I’ve considered the book as a whole. And in the meantime, I’m going to try and slog through the rest of it as quickly as I can, so I can move on to other, more interesting reads!

Does anyone know of a good book that outlines and defends a dispensationalist view of eschatology? I would like to read the best of this position and really give it a chance, but as of right now I am ready to cast it into the lake of fire (well, at least Holdcroft’s version). I have Dwight J. Pentecost’s Things to Come, which apparently was the Bible College textbook before Holdcroft. It is a thicker book. I’m wary of committing myself to it if it’s just more of the same. 

~lg

No comments: