August 27, 2010

sacred space

I was having a conversation with friends last night, and a certain comment revealed an ecclesiological conflict within. Perhaps it's the Pentecostal and the Anglican in me duking it out.

I had said at some point in the discussion that if I wasn't a Pentecostal, I would probably be an Anglican. Now there are many things about Anglicanism that I admire and appreciate, but one of them would be beautiful stained glass windows and a sense of sacred space. The physical, material dimension reflects spiritual realities in some way.

Not two minutes later I made another comment about how silly it was that we get uptight over what happens in a church building, as if God somehow lived in the building and not in his body, the people of the church.

It was my husband who caught me and reminded me of my previous statement, revealing this inner conflict of interest. Part of me craves that beauty of the sanctuary, part of me wants to push down the walls.

The issues:
- how do we view the material/physical element of our lives and our faith?
- how does the material/physical correlate to the spiritual? does it or should it at all?
- where is the support for sacred space in the New Testament?
- does our view of sacred space affect our concept of mission?
- where do we locate God's presence/Spirit in the church?


~lg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sacred space is our body ,the temple of the Holy Spirit, regardless of where we are, what the building looks like, its where our heart is that matters. We are just too often distracted by material things, buildings, windows, chants, customs, thinking we need those things to help us get closer to God. Its the humans attempt to get closer to God through things WE invent, rather then just accepting that God is everywhere and realizing that nothing we could do or make can bring us any closer to God than we already are.

hazz said...

What about, TIME.
I will suggest you some books about neurophysiology, like those from Antonio Damasio.
Those will help you for some searching of spiritul house.
Ciao bella

Barry said...

I agree with Micah but I also agree that a building, just like a place in creation, can evoke a "wow!" and "Hallelujah".
I have the job of buying new carpet, paint and lighting for our church sanctuary which is showing its age.
Is there a colour combination that would not be distracting but would be more conducive for being assembled together in the Lord's presence?
What about something distinct and with symbolism like the Old Testament tabernacle colours? Or the colours of creation. (Don't just want it to look like someone's house or an office building.)